Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Parent Trap: An Oldie but Goodie!

Like you, I grew up watching The Parent Trap (over and over and over again).  However, unlike most fans, my friend Sheryl and I set out to meet all the cast members.  This makes us....superfans.
 
As you can imagine, we haven’t had much Luck.  Lets start with the (only) success story: 
Carrie Kei Heim from Parent Trap II agreed to meet with Sheryl and I two years ago in Harvard Square.  Over dessert at Finale, she told us about life as a child actor and what she has been doing  since.  For anyone curious: lawyer, writer, wife and mother and other things of course.  I don't mean to diminish her life by summing it up in four words.  I was excited to meet her and we were both astounded that she even agreed to it.  We talk about it to this day.  "Remember when Carrie Kei Heim met with us?"   Our grandchildren will hear that story! 

Then, Sheryl and I found the Creel triplets of Parent Trap Hawaiian Honeymoon fame on Facebook.  You would have thought we won the lottery.   In this movie, the Creel sisters were the epitome of cool.  They were all decked out in late 80's fashion and because they were playing the 'ole switch-a-roo with the boys....even the "nerdy" one was cool.  This picture doesn't do it justice...you really needed to see the movie to understand (on the deep level that I do) how awesomely 80's these girls were. 
 Last year, Sheryl and I (with husbands in tow) were planning a drive down the coast of California and asked the sisters via Facebook if they would meet us along the way for dessert or coffee.  Leanna was the only one who wrote back.  Sadly, she was out of town.  The weird thing is, she was really nice about it and just said, "Sorry, I'll be out of town."  Honestly, I expected her to be a little more surprised.  Are there others like Sheryl and I? Does she get this all the time?  The other sister, Joy, confirmed me as a friend on Facebook but didn't write back.  The final sister....well, we never heard from her.  

After we met Carrie, there was not a doubt in our mind that the Creel sisters would meet with us.  After Carrie, we didn't even think our request sounded nuts.  To sum up my conversations with Sheryl about the Creel situation: 
"When do you think they'll write back?"
"Do you think they'll write back?" (voice high pitched and unsure.) 
"Of COURSE they'll write back Sheryl....we want to get dessert with them!"
"Yeah, who wouldn't want to meet with long time fans inviting you for dessert?!"  

In retrospect, I realize we were crazy. 

One year after their rejection, we are still crushed.  Three big rejections like that means we won't meet all the cast members. (I'm counting not responding as a rejection.)  (Hang head, droop shoulders, shuffle feet) (tear.)  (Oh my goodness I'm writing in parenthesises again.) (Sorry, I'll stop.)

THEN....sometime after California, I tracked down the writer of Hawaiian Honeymoon- Deborah Amelon and asked her if there was anyway she had some sway with the Disney Exec's.  My objective: Get PT II, III and Hawaiian Honeymoon released to DVD.   Here is her reply: (p.s. "she" wrote back to me...meaning it was her, unless someone else thought it was funny that I thought they were a movie writer and responded back to me....very possible.) 
Hi there,

I am very intrigued and flattered by how much you like the Parent Trap series. I’m the one who came up with the idea of Hayley Mills marrying someone who has triplets and then they play tricks on her. I have two big questions:
How old were you in 1989 that you enjoyed it so much?
Do you think your generation would like to see the triplets grown up and going to college, or out in the world working?

Thanks!

Debbie
So, as you can imagine, I go into Day 17 of Nūly excited about reaching out to the most important Parent Trapper of them all....Mrs. Hayley Mills!  It is up to Hayley to redeem our mission.
Two letters will be going out.  One to her agent and one to her.  I'm not sure if either address is correct.....but here goes nothing.

Creel sisters,
If you're reading this- and you might be since I'm tagging you on Facebook- I'm not mad at you for not responding.  How could you know that I'm (relatively) normal?  How could you imagine that there really are people in the world trying to meet every single cast member of the parent trap franchise...not one, but two!  Oh Sheryl and I were so disappointed you didn't respond but in the end we understand.  I want you to know that for many, their childhood memories are wrapped up in movies.   For me, those movies were the Parent Trap franchise.  If I were home sick from school, I put on The Parent Trap.  I had all of them on tape.  If it was raining...on went the videos.  If I had a sleepover....we'd watch them back to back to back.   I'm writing to you because I think it would be awesome to meet all the people who entertained me as a kid and say thank you.  Meeting Hayley has been a dream of mine since I could remember. 

My goal today is to get Hayley Mills attention....would you help me?  If you have Hayley's email address- please send her this link.  I would like to have a pancake breakfast with her either in Boston or New York City.  It sounds crazy, but crazier things have happened.

My little boy has mulled it over and he's thinking: If the girls want one more chance to meet with you....do it!   Let them know your offer still stands.  He's so wise....isn't he? Creel sisters-  my pancake breakfast offer extends to you as well!   






 


4 comments:

  1. This is Joy Creel Liefeld AKA "Megan Wyatt". What a fun and creative quest you two are on! Hayley Mills is wonderful and I hope you get the chance to meet her one day. Soo sorry to not get back to you last summer when you reached out to us... I would be glad to have pancakes with you sometime when you are in Southern California again. I'm so glad you enjoyed the movies when you were young! Those were some fun memories! Take care and God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and the best way to reach me again is on my facebook wall... I don't check my messages there that frequently. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was young! I still enjoy them :) Sheryl and I just tracked them down from a bootlegger. Worst quality DVD ever but at least we have them. Thanks for writing back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you could trick the cast of the Parent Trap movies into meeting with you under some sort of false pretense... It worked every time in the PT movies... lol...

    I'm a big Parent Trap fan too and have just watched 1 and 2 with my kids (7 and 10). PT 3 and Hawaiian Honeymoon are next on our list!

    How great of Carrie to meet with you! I hope you can meet more of the cast members!

    ReplyDelete