Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A REVIEW

31 days of doing something new every day has come to a close.    I started strong and intentional.  Then, I went on vacation and immediately into survival mode.  Rain, heat and my parents saying, "lets go out to eat" on repeat made doing new things hard.  Its not to say that I stopped doing new things, its just that the new activities became uninteresting...a new restaurant, a new ice cream shop, taking Anders to the beach (felt like we deserved a gold medal for that) and then finally on the last night of 31 things, I did nothing...which you could argue was new for that month as I had been doing something new every day prior.  Fine, argue I was lazy, see what I care.   

I have a few highlights from the month that I'd like to share with all of you.

Letters: 
I wrote to the band Dispatch and they wrote back.  Come October (when we see them in concert) they will do something cool with or for my friend Becky.   I was floored and I'd like to give Ingrid from Love Light and Melody a BIG thank you.  She is Brad Corrigan's assistant and although she is the lifeblood of the office, she still managed to correspond with me several times.  Brad- if you are reading this....give her a raise (or at least a yummy treat today).   And Ingrid, from the bottom of my heart- thank you.

I wrote to Hayley Mills and while I haven't heard back from her, other members of the Parent Trap franchise wrote back.  Both Leanna and Joy Creel said they'd meet me next time I'm out in California.  Who knows when I'll get back out there but its great to know they dig what I'm doing and encouraged me on my journey.   Creel sisters...thank you!  You always have a friend in Boston! 
and to my readers: I know this doesn't count as "meeting them" but its a good first step!  I'm on my way!!!  One day, you will all see a picture of me with Hayley and the triplets to add next to the picture I already have of the star of PT II.  Mark my words!!!!!    This will happen!

Love:
I sent a care package to someone who needed a hug and made a date to do something special with someone who is lonely.  I also supported the Benkert family with the click of the iTunes button.  Yup, I bought their kids some iTunes credit so they can entertain themselves while touring the USA.  These three things taught me how easy it is to change the course of someones day with one simple act.  I think the bigger lesson is to not treat these acts of love like a hit and run.  Its easy to do something ONE DAY and feel good about yourself.  I don't want to have a hit and run attitude.  I want to be there for people in a real and constant way.  I have more work to do...I don't want anyone to be a victim of a Mary Kay hit and run.

Fitness:
I got back on the trampoline again after 15 years and admitted to you all that hands down, I am out of shape and something needs to change.   I ran a mile in the blazing sun while down the shore and the next day, doubled it and ran two, just for good measure.  Mark my words, I will get back in shape.  There is no reason why I should have the flexibility of an 80 year old, speed of a snail and endurance of my 5 month old son (who needs to nap after exerting himself.)  

Community:
I gave local business my business and bought a few special things for my boy.  I spent time in my local Starbucks trying to meet people that I've seen for months years but never took the time to meet.   I now know their names and a little bit about who they are.  While in pursuit to meet new people, I challenged myself to look everyone I cross paths with in the eye and greet them.   I found the act of doing that made me happier and less focused on myself.  

 Creativity:
I wrote a lullaby for my son and then spent time with my neighbor working on the guitar end of it.  I am immensely proud of what we produced and loved spending time with Alex.  Speaking of creativity, I carved out time on a sunny Sunday morning to visit a local coffee shop and work on a children's story.  I drank tea, had breakfast and got lost in my wacky imagination.  Then, I walked to my cool funky church that is held in the Somerville movie theater.  If you are reading this blog and you live in the area- you are invited to come with me.  Its awesome and I think you'll dig it. 

Fun: 
I visited a local lake and loved it so much that I went back three more times that same week.  I also left Anders with a babysitter twice and went swimming with him in a pool.  I took him on a date to Concord with my friend Michael and to a Nuly Olympics Opening Ceremonies party held at my brothers house.

Kitchen:
I learned a few homemaker things as well: How to make lemonade, ice cream, pots de cream, and homemade chocolate cake.  After cooking/baking, I enjoyed these treats with my husband, friends and neighbors.  

Whats Old is New:
This month- all month long- My friend Leah and I vowed to not buy clothes for myself.  We succeeded.   I learned that I don't actually need anything.  I just have this awful ugly thing inside of me that wants things.  Needing and wanting are two different things.   Fortunately, I have always been on the wanting side of things.   I have a lot to learn about life....but none of it starts with me buying myself a new outfit.  I actually boxed up most of my clothes and next year when I am skinny again (Lord make that a true statement) I will shop through all the things I packed up instead of buying new things.


While I'm sure I did other things (sock bun...) the above is what stands out the most.   I learned that writing to people sometimes gets you HEARD.  Greeting people makes everybody involved HAPPIER and you less self involved.  Learning someones name and using it is POWERFUL.   Taking time out to be creative is ESSENTIAL.   Running is a reminder that God created me STRONG.  Cooking reminded me to be intentional about SHARING the goods.  Exploring my area made me appreciate my COMMUNITY and not shopping for myself taught me to be CONTENT with what I have. 

And so, my friends, I am excited to say goodbye to July.  It was a good month but now, I take on a harder endeavor.  I vow to do something active everyday in the month of August.  I have a LOT of baby weight to lose and I am going to lose it by moving my body! I don't promise to emerge a marathon runner or muscle girl.  I just want to leave August more flexible and comfortable in my own stretch marked (thank you Anders) skin.  I'm not going to annoy you on FB every day with my new thing but I do promise to keep up with this blog....so check back in.

And hey... thank YOU for reading and keeping me honest.  A few of you wrote me emails to tell me you dig what I'm doing or you wrote to tell me how this month has made you do things differently.   I'm glad for it.  We all benefit by living intentionally. 

Life happens when we shake it up a bit.
Thanks for shaking with me,

Mary Kay






2 comments:

  1. Good stuff, MK! I know you thought you weren't doing much on some days, but in hindsight, you rocked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I knew who you were!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete