Monday, November 12, 2012

Pintrest

In July my brother and I tried to do one new thing every day for 31 days.  I called it "31 Things" because I wasn't feeling too creative when I started the challenge to call it anything else but the obvious.  In fact, I was feeling a little over whelmed.  How in the world was I supposed to do 31 new things in 31 days with a five month old.  The answer was actually pretty easy: just do it.  (must give Nike some credit for that brilliant one.)

The truth is, I have never gone/done/accomplished so much in such a short span of time EVER.  I am the queen of starting something and then trailing off in hopes that everyone forgets my big declarations.  Remember that time I said I was going to write a book of poetry?  And the time I said I was going to learn how the play the guitar....in San Francisco with a monkey on my shoulder? And how I was going to be a runner who actually liked to run? I hope you forgot because I didn't accomplish any of those goals.   31 Things was different off the bat because I was doing it with my brother and he's actually quite annoying.   He would call multiple times a day to see if I'd done my "thing" yet and then talk to me for 20 minutes about how he was spending his day.   And this is why he's annoying....because his day consisted of being awesome all the time.  Oh yeah...my brother was painting roofs in Harlem, zip-lining in NY, running races in VT, survival camps in the woods of NJ..you name it...he was doing it and so I had to find at least SOMETHING to tell him.  


But eventually, I stopped.
31 things came to an end and instead of continuing my quest to be awesome- I sat back down on the couch and started watching 24 and using Pintrest during my sons naps.  What I noticed is that Jack Bauer looks like a rabbit and does more in 24 hours than I did in 31 days.  And Pintrest....well, Pintrest is a waste of my time if I'm not actually DOING any of the things I pin.  

My 8 1/2 month old kid has recently traded sleep and food for crawling and cruising.  I am on guard most of the day but there is time here and there for me to be me. My new challenge:  DO my pins. 

I tried to get people to embark on this quest with me but they all replied, "I already do many of my pins." My face turned a little red because I thought we were all in this together- just pinning to pin. I actually had one person say, "I do many of my pins many times a day."  ok annoying. 

I am not going to do many pins a day.  I am only going to do one pin a week.  I'm not trying to reinvent my life...I'm just trying to add a little flavor.   Some of my pins will be recipes.  Some will be crafts.  Some of these crafts will benefit my house, some will be presents for friends or people who need them.   But the point it...I'm doing it. 

If you want to do it with me....let me know!

Happy Pinning



3 comments:

  1. I'm doing this with you! Solidarity, sister. And, by the way, you are a fantastic writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your blog. I came across it when looking up something regarding The Parent Trap. (I also love ALL of them, and I grew up on all of them. Parent Trap 2 is my favorite; I loved your story of meeting Carrie.) Really cool blog. :)

    ReplyDelete